Seven Day Meat Keeper

There are two kinds of people in this world: Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... ...You dig, my friend.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monroe Township, Ohio

"...Everybody is somebody else's stupid."

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Depressed Ex-Steelmill Workers
And Ford Plant Retirees
Do Not Buy Art
Unless It's On Velvet

I did this wine tasting in Lorain this Sunday for my friend Mindi. She has a gallery out in Lorain
called Artisans Cove.
This was a benefit thing for the YMCA womens' program and a chance for Lorain artists to sell some stuff before Christmas. It was held at the Lorain Palace Theatre, which is this beautiful old restored early 1900's theater.




There were four or five artists there and some really decent art. I sent in about $800 worth of wine for the event. They were expecting over 100 people.



Alas, only about 15 people showed up and I sold about $70 worth of wine. And that's not the bad part. Mindi doesn't think she'll be able to keep her gallery open (which is a story not at all unfamiliar to mine artsy friends) because Lorain is such a crappy arts town.
So for all you starving Cleveland artists out there, I have but one piece of advice:
DON'T MOVE TO LORAIN.



The highlight of the afternoon was, for me, the lighting of the big chandelier in the theatre. Fully restored and perfectly clean, it was pretty cool.
So if you can't support your artist friends in Cleveland, and you can't support your artist friends in Lorain,
at least you could go see a play or somethin'...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home